Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have problem inability to control urine. Suggest surgical procedure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 301 Questions
I would like to know- since I can't control my urine, sometime If I am not near a rest room I am in trouble. Is there a surgical procedure or something else to help this?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. David Okia 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on cause, some cases can be treated

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query.

The answer to your question depends on the cause of your in ability to control urine.

I usually take detailed history from my patients with such complains, in history I would want to know if you have had history of trauma, problems with your prostate, urethral sphincters and bladder. This history taking is followed by series of investigation like abdominal pelvic ultrasound, X-ray, CT. Once the cause is known then medical or surgical intervention will be taken and some of my patients have improved after surgical interventions.

I recommend you see urologist to examine you, find the cause and from my experience many causes can be managed how ever in some cases like in advanced cancer of prostate much cant be done to restore ability to control urine, especially if nerve supply is affected.

Hope I answered your question, if you have more queries I will be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have problem inability to control urine. Suggest surgical procedure? 5 hours later
What are the symptoms of a fallen bladder? Also, I am not having any female problems so that is why I think it is bladder control problems. I know when we ladies get older there are incontinence problems. I just didn't expect it to be so bad that I couldn't hold it before I can hardly get to the bathroom.
Answered by Dr. David Okia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fallen bladder symptom include stress incontinence

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query

Fallen bladder symptoms in my patients include stress incontinence which is leaking of urine when laughing or coughing, difficulty in completely emptying the bladder. Other symptoms I have noted include pelvic pain, bulging vagina and frequent and pain full micturition.

I usually like to explain to my patients what is happening, I hope you don't mind if I do the same here: In fallen bladder, the wall between the bladder and vagina becomes weak; so the bladder falls on vagina that explains the above symptoms. Causes are associated with complicated child birth, normal aging and menopause.

Good news is fallen bladder can be corrected surgically.

So I urge you to visit your doctor, a gynecologist preferably for detailed clinical examination and evaluation. A treatment is available.

Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have more questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor