Have pleurisy. What is the cause of raised c-reactive protein level?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi Im a male aged 42, just had a bout of pleurisy and recovering feeling fine wondering why my c-reactive protein is 99 when it should be less than <5?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

C-reactive protein (CRP) is a protein which is synthesized by the liver and is found in the blood. The levels of CRP increase in response to any acute inflamation in the body. That is why it is called an acute-phase protein.

Now, you have mentioned that you have been recently diagnosed to have pleurisy (which involves inflamation of the pleural covering of the lungs). So, this is the reason why your CRP is elevated. As the inflamation subsides in the next few days, the CRP should also gradually come down.

So, don't worry the evevated CRP is just an "indicator" or "marker" for the inflamation in your body. It does not mean anything XXXXXXX or worrying.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar