Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Have pinkish red itchy skin between tailbone and anus, like scabbing. Cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1919 Questions
I have a pinkish red section of skin between my tailbone and anus, very narrow with what looks like scabbing or just flaking. In addition, my anus area is red, and moist. The anus area itches, while the area from my tailbone to my anus is painful when I stretch the skin too much.

What is this? It seemed to start about two months ago.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some more details needed

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic

From your description the first thing which comes to my mind is anal fissure. It is a linear tear or crack seen on the area mentioned by you. It usually occurs in association with constipation or trauma due to passage of hard stool. Itching can be a symptom of this. Pain while stretching is a very common symptom of anal fissure.

I know it is difficult, but if you have help and will be able to take a photo and upload it will help me to confirm this.You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.

Best treatment will be to soften your stools. Increase fiber in your diet, drink plenty of water, eat bananas and even laxatives will help. You can apply vaseline ointment after passing stools to soften the skin around anus.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor