Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have persistent swollen ankles for a long time. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6940 Questions
I have had swollen ankels for a very long time i ask my doctor about it but she never seems worried i think they look terrible and my friends always comment on the swelling they look puffy most of the time
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

Persistent swollen ankles for a long time need to be investigated.
Occasional ankle swelling especially after prolonged hanging of lower limb (as during travelling) is a common occurrence.

However, persistent swelling is due to some disease process - swollen ankles is one symptom of heart disease, thyroid disorder and renal problem/liver problem.

So, consult your physician for clinical examination and relevant investigations which may include a X-ray chest, ECG, Echo, etc. depending on the clinical features.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shialja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor