Have persistent dry cough. Not cured by medicine. Suggest some effective cure

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: hello,
i'm having persistent dry coughing all day long.it gets worse at night. its been 2 months now. i took couple of syrups chlorpheniramine maleate and codeine phospate syrups. TUSQ-DX - dextromethorphan syrup but it didn't help that much.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 11 minutes later
Any prolonged cough ( > 2 -4 weeks) must be investigated to rule out lower respiratory ( lung ) infection (bacterial or tubercular etc) or a lung pathology ( like COPD or bronchitis ).
The cough syrups you mentioned are just symptomatic treatment and will not cure the cough if the cause is infection.
Hence it's advisable you consult your chest physician for a thorough evaluation( X-ray , blood test etc) and management .
Depending on your chest examination and X-ray findings your doctor might prescribe appropriate antibiotics and bronchodilators if needed.
Please do not take the cough syrups without consulting your doctor as they may provide only temporary relief not a permanent cure.
Hope I have answered your query.
Ill be available for any follow up queries.