Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

152 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have permanent bruise on inner part of ankles. How to get rid of this?

Answered by
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 5767 Questions

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I am a 37 year-old healthy and athletic male. I am phyically fit at 200 lb and 73". My inner ankles have what appear to be permanent bruises on the inside near the rear part of my feet. There's also spider-like veins surrounding these bruises. These bruises or skin mottling have been there for several years now. There's no pain. I lift weights 3 times/week and run 5-6 miles per week. I have photos of both my ankles to further help with your analysis of my condition. I appreciate your help.
My concern are: what can I do for this condition, what is this called, and will it ever go away?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

What you can see on your ankles are nothing more than varicoses. The spider-like veins are also varicoses in the superficial small veins. The bruises are a result of deeper and bigger veins varicoses (however both the little ones and big once do belong to superficial veins). The big onces for sure do get smaller or even can disappear while the leg is elevated.
Such condition is caused by increased blood pressure in the veins due to valves destruction, long time standing or even hot baths. All this factors lead to veins enlargement as its wall is very flexible.
You do not have to do anything with such low-advanced varicoses if it does not bother you. If you feel uncomfortable with it, you may visit surgeon and as for laser therapy of it.
To prevent development of this condition you should avoid long standing (and when standing try to move your calf muscle - it works like a pump), after every hot bath you can wash your legs with lukewarm water. Diosmin medicines can also improve veins.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Vascular surgery

doctor1 MD

on 4/21st, I had an Endostent abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Came home on (22nd), a light red rash in appearance started in the hospital, within 24 hrs of surgery, it has become increasingly expanding legs, (1/2 down thighs), waist, arms, underarms, Saw primary care doctor, he thought it probably was a drug reaction, however, it has intensified. to very bright reds. it appears to not breaking through the skin. Do not see the doctor that did the surgery for 2 weeks.

doctor1 MD

I have sometimes irregular periods and post coital bleeding since having my tubal done. I have been checked with ultrasound and cancer ruled out. I also suffered from vaginal varicose veins with my third pregnancy which was four years ago. Could that be the problem and how do i stop it?

doctor1 MD

I had open heart surgery to repair my aorta tear. That was Oct 12, 2011, in January my hair started falling out. I have read that certain beta blocker can cause this and or the stress of open heart surgery. Could the drugs I am on be causing this and will my hair grow back.

doctor1 MD

The last two days I have been experiencing buzzing in my right ear. This is also the side I have some blockage going on in carotid. Five years ago I had a mild stroke because the left carotid artery was almost completely blocked. I had surgery, and I have no residual effects of the stroke. I have kept an eye on the carotids with ultrasound every year. This ringing in the right ear is not constant, but comes & goes. It is a loud mechanical buzzing noise. Am I right in thinking it is probably due to the carotid blockage, or would you think it could be something more significant that needs further testing? Thank you.

doctor1 MD

I had vascular surgery on my right leg seven months ago. My leg is still swollen. to touch it it feels hard. Ive been back to surgeon and he says he's never seen this before. Gave me perscription of water pills but that hasn't helped at all. What...

doctor1 MD

My father is 81 yrs old ,hypertensive, having BPH had Ml in 2005 .Two months back he had paresis of right side and diagnosed left CCA blockade.(66%).Is vascular surgery possible in his case?If yes, suggest me in CMC.

doctor1 MD

1. Today I was exercising in cold weather & I noticed that my left hand was much colder than my right hand; 2. I continued to exercise & 20 minutes later my right hand became warm (presumably from the exercise) but my left hand remained cold; 3....