Have peripheral neuropathy in leg. Feeling weakness and numbness. Safe to inject marcaine?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Is Marcain injections o.k in the feet for Peripheral Neuropathy I am a 81year old male
with P.N.in both legs & feet I'm having weakness & muness in both
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 31 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
No, the inj. Marcain is Bupivacaine and it is an anesthetic drug and is not a treatment for PN. If you are having excruciating pain then you can try tablet Carbamazepine or Pregabalin along with tramadol for the pain.
Take these drugs after consulting a local physician.
The anesthetics used for this purpose may further cause loss of sensation and you may develop skin ulcers which are a challenge to heal in Peripheral Neuropathy cases.
I hope the advice would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli