Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Have periodic involuntary eye movements. Feeling like things in room are moving. How to overcome this problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
I have periodic involuntary eye movements. This started 3 or 4 years ago and only occurred right after waking. Since my visual field seemed to spin, I decided that it was REM continuing after waking. Then I had no symptoms for a year or so. Yesterday, feeling tired, I laid down to take a nap and before I could close my eyes I saw the features on the ceiling moving continuously left to right. Wow, I thought, this is strange. I slept for about 15 minutes and saw that the things in the room were still moving, sort of randomly. This morning when I awoke I had more symptoms and after the room stopped moving, I noticed my balanced was still severely degraded.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nystagmus and Vestibular affliction.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query, I have carefully gone through your rather accurate and elaborate description. I can understand your concern.

The problem, I strongly suspect, is in your inner ear. The vestibular apparatus which is responsible for balance and coordinating eye movements might be affected in your case.

There are different types of nystagmus, depending on the site of lesion, it could be central (Where the lesion is in the brain), Peripheral, where in the affected part is vestibular system in the inner ear.

Nystagmus in both these cases can be associated with balance problems.

The approach is to first identify the exact site of lesion and then explore the treatment options, the treatments vary widely depending on the exact reason for the problem.

Hence I suggest you first consult an ENT specialist at the earliest and get yourself examined.

If getting an appointment takes long, then I would suggest you go to the ER, as a complete loss of balance can be quite debilitating.

You might also have to see a neurologist depending on the outcome of your ENT visit.

I hope I have been able to address your concern, please do feel free to revert back if you need further clarification.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Warm regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor