Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Have perianal abscess. Noticed fibrous tissue. What could be causing the fibroids? On antibiotics

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 2202 Questions
Hi I have a query perianal abcess. I have been put on strong antibiotics since Saturday and spent 4 hours at A&E last night waiting for a surgical assessment. The surgeon conducted an anal and vaginal exam around the area and said that it seemed like fibrous tissue rather than an abcess, but that an abcess might form around it. She told me to continue taking antibiotics until Saturday and if it had not resolved to come back. I have also been suffering from an anal fissue and lichen sclerosis. She was very curt with me and did not explain what could be causing the fibroids, so I am going to see my GP tomorrow, but I am concerned what to do to manage the swelling now. Can you help?
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Perianal abscess is a very painful condition around the anus.Patient cant sit properly on hard surface due to pain.
If you have pain in the area around anus,it could be abscess.
Fibrous tissue is different from Fibroids.Fibroids are seen in the uterus,where as fibrous tissue can form any where.
Your surgeon might have found hard like area around anus and so he diagnosed it as fibrosis and possibility of abscess.
If at all it is mild infection,it should be subsided by now as you are taking higher antibiotics.
If the pain and hardness/swelling are not subsiding,better go for incision and drainage of the abscess.
When a patient comes to me immediately after pain in the anus area,i will put him on antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs.If it is not relieved in 2 days,i will incise and drain the pus.
Once abscess is formed,even stronger antibiotics will not help.
So,take decision quickly.
The procedure is very simple,just 5 minutes only.
It has no relation to Anal fissure,haemorrhoids,lichen sclerosis.
You can feel for yourself.If the swelling is painful if you touch it,then abscess is confirmed.Go for incision and drainage.
Wish you good health.
If you have any queries,i will clarify further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor