Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Have pectus excavatum, vibration in heart. Echocardiogram showed mild to moderate murmur. Cause for concern?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
I have mild pectus excavatum and at times I can feel my heart beat and at the same time it makes a vibration sound. I had an echocardiogram done and found I have a mild to moderate murmur. Is this something that is cause for concern?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 21 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
You are suffering from palpitation (feeling of heart beat) and it is essential to find the cause.
Palpitation may be due to heart problem or may be due to hormonal problems.
Do you have fever/ increased sweating/ watery shit/ weight loss?
Do you have squeezing sensation/ sweating/ difficulty in respiration/ respiratory difficulties with change of posture/ swelling in feet ?
Have you undergone thyroid profile/ serum electrolytes/ ECG for heart previously?
You should consult with physician / cardiologist and should go for following investigations: complete blood count, serum electrolytes, thyroid profile, renal function test, epinephrine, norepinephrine and urianry VMA level, ECG, 2 D echo and coronary angiography if needed.
Palpitation may be cardiac problems such as VPCs, APC, PSVT, Junctional rhythm, ventricular bigeminy and trigeminy. These heart diseases may be diagnosed by ECG and holter monitoring for 48-72 hours. If still not helpful then you can go for electro-physiological studies of heart.
With pectus excavatum, there may be shifting of heart with compression on heart.
There may be defect in conductive system of heart. This can be detected by electro-physiological studies of heart.
Hormonal disorders may be thyroid disorders and pheochromocytoma.
If all investigations are normal, then there may be possibilities of panic attacks. In such conditions you should consult with psychiatrist.
Put your views also.
With wishes of speedy recovery,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor