Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Have pcos. Taking metformin and folic acid. Trying to conceive. Have irregular and delayed period

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5954 Questions
hi iam XXXXXX iam 26 years old iam having pcos from last one year and iam taking metformin tablets for tat in addition to that oosure and folic acid tablets all these because iam trying for pregnancy still iam having irregular periods i have corrected my over weight but still why this irregular periods now till now my periods are 2 months late iam little worried please help me for that
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.
You are suffering from PCOS, that is, polycystic ovarian syndrome.
It is a condition characterized by hormonal imbalance, wherein there is disturbance in normal menstruation and ovulation.
Women with PCOS often have scanty, irregular and delayed cycles.
Also, there is a problem in ovulation.
The ovary is studded with multiple follicles, but none of them get matured every month to produce a mature egg.
There is associated presence of complications like insulin resistance leading to deranged blood sugars, etc.
You need to investigate yourself thoroughly for PCOS.
This includes investigations like Day 2 FSH, LH, prolactin, TSH, adrenal hormones, fasting serum insulin, lipid profile, oral glucose tolerance test etc.
Also, a baseline ultrasound which you have had which confirms a diagnosis of polycystic ovaries and chocolate cyst, which means that you are having endometriosis also.
Endometriosis means presence of active uterine lining outside the uterus, which leads to formation of cysts, irregular cycles and adhesions within the pelvis, leading to tubal block and often impaired ovarian function.
Weight loss is one aspect of management of PCOS.
Metformin and Oosure help to regulate the imbalance within the body, but these are not 100 % effective in treating PCOS.
You might require expert consultation of an Endocrinologist ( hormone specialist ) in addition to a gynecologist to treat your condition.
For conception, you might require to consult an Infertility specialist, and take the help of ovulation induction medications.

Women with PCOS do not necessarily get regular periods with medication, but you need to continue taking the treatment, and maintain an ideal BMI to keep your condition under control.

Take care, and feel free to ask any further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have pcos. Taking metformin and folic acid. Trying to conceive. Have irregular and delayed period 36 minutes later
hi doctor thanks for your quick reply and let me know what is to be done quickly to regularise my periods and how this ovulation will be corrected
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 54 minutes later
Hi again,
As i mentioned, If your cycles are not getting regulated on Metformin and Oosure, then you might have to consult your doctor and increase the dosages of the medication.
Sometimes, in spite of therapy, menstrual cycles remain irregular in patients with PCOS.
You need not worry about that, as long as there are no other metabolic complications.
Regarding ovulation, you need to have your ovulation documented by serial ultrasound and monitoring of the follicle during your menstrual cycle.
If there is evidence of no ovulation, then you would need fertility enhancement treatment when you plan to get pregnant.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor