Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Have patchy bruise on the inside forearm. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1853 Questions
I have patchy bruising on the inside right forearm. they are sort of in the shape of large fish scales. I have not injured my arm and they are not painful. they have been there approximately three weeks. There are none on my left arm. 45 year old female.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

A bruise is a type of relatively minor blood collection in tissue, in which small blood vessels (capillaries and venules) are damaged by trauma, allowing blood to seep into the surrounding interstitial tissues.

A bruise may be named according to the length of its diameter as:
-Petechia (less than 3 mm)
-Purpura (3 mm to 1 cm)
-Ecchymosis (1 to 3 cm)
In your case it appear Purpura to me.

If bruises are formed without trauma or with minimal trauma then following are possibilities like in your case:
-Insect bite
-Insufficient or malfunctioning platelets
-Coagulation deficiencies: it commonly occur due to Vitamin K deficiency
-Vascular disorders, such as venous blockage associated with severe allergies

Following steps will help:
-Take healthy vitamins XXXXXXX diet like milk and fruits
-Avoid insect bite if any
-Monitor your bruises: regarding number and size
-You need to get investigated for cause as in few cases cause may be some serious illness. It is better to XXXXXXX your general physician so that he can order some test like: complete and differential blood count, bleeding and clotting time, liver function test. Final management can be planned after reports.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor