Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Have paralyzed vocal chord. Had horrendous sinus infection followed by pneumonia after surgery. Other treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2548 Questions
I have a paralyzed vocal chord. I have had the surgery to fill the chord with a substance to make it work again. It lasted about 2 & 1/2 months. Immediately after the surgery, I had an horrendous sinus infection followed by pneumonia. .Subsequently, I have had about three trips to the doctor because of infected sinuses, in the past 9 months. My MD x-rays my sinuses on each triip and prescribes medication. My voice is gone again, and I am at that breathy state.. My question is: Is there any other treatments available to me?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Type I Thyroplasty, plain Sinus CT, Laryngoscopy

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If the vocal cord paralysis is not expected to recover or if no cause has been discovered, you may consider a Type I Thyroplasty after a year or so of this vocal cord paralysis having occurred.

2. This surgery can be done under local anesthesia. There are a number of types of prosthesis that can be used to medialize the paralyzed vocal cord and restore a good voice.

3. The vocal fold filler gels and pastes do not last more than a few months.

4. Get a plain Sinus CT done. It will help treat your sinusitis better.

5. If you can upload a video of your laryngoscopy, it will be easier to suggest treatment. Your speech therapist's evaluation notes may also help.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor