Have para ovarian cyst. Missing periods and have tender breast. HPT negative. Should I be worried?

Dr. Minoo Bhagia

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Hi... I have a para ovarian cyst. on the right side. I havent had my periods for the past 47 days and I am not pregnant according to the home pregnancy test. I have signs of getting my periods - breast tenderness and slight cramps for few seconds for the past 15 days. But still no sign of my period. My doctor later prescribed "meprate" tablets as I was feeling a bit bloated. But not much weight gain. My last period was on the 15th of October. Should I be worried? What could be causing the delay in my menstrual cycle? I had an attack of a skin infection called pityriasis rosea and was asked to take azithral tabs. Kindly help me.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 29 minutes later
Hello

Welcome and thanks for the query

Paraovarian cysts are on the side of ovaries or on the fallopian tubes , they are the remnant of wolfian duct.They can be mistaken with ovarian cysts as paraovarian cysts are rare.They can grow in some cases and can bleed or rupture later on.
Delayed periods can be due to hypothyroidism or pelvic inflammation due to the cysts.Get your haemoglobin level done and just relax.Do lots of exercises and diet control.The periods will start on its own within few days if you are not pregnant.if not then take a course of antibiotics for PID under doctor's guidance and keep the TSH levels under 3 by increasing the dose of thyroxine.

Best wishes
Good luck and take care
Any further query is most welcome