Have panic disorder and got raised mole on arm. What should I do?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I have a raised mole on my arm. I thought it had a bump in it (I have bumpy in grown hairs eww). Apparently this really bothered the mole. Only bled a little bit but it really hurts. I have panic disorder and GAD. What should I do please? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later

Apparently the details provided by you are too little to provide you with a solution.
I would like to know-
1) Since how long are you having this MOLE?
2) If it is tender to touch?
3) If it developed after hair growth?
4) Its color, size and if there is any increase in size of the mole?
5) If it bled spontaneously or after some manipulation from your side?

Please do attach an image of involved area too, for better diagnosis.

Hoping to hear from you soon...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
1) I have had it for years (as long as I can remember)

2) It wasnt tender until 2 days ago

3) It didnt have any dark hair in it

4) It is a light brown. Has only gotten a tiny bit more raised over the years. It is only 1/2 to 3/4 cm

5) I squeezed it and it bled a tiny bit after. Now it feels like its on fire. I have antibiotic ointment and a bandaid on it now. I will take a picture and upload right away.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Right now your mole has got inflammed. It could be due to friction or constant rubbing of clothes, scratching or inadvertent squeezing or nicking the mole. As there was a slight manipulation of mole from your side, it could have led to tenderness, pain and bleeding from it.

To treat the same, clean the area with betadine or savlon and apply an antibiotic ointment. You can also take a pain killer to relieve the pain as well as inflammation. Do not touch the area often and do not squeeze it again.

If it doesn't show much healing response in few days, a dermatologist visit is mandatory as change in shape, size , color of mole, bleeding or tenderness also signifies atypical changes or melanoma.
The rule of thumb about mole inflammation is that unless you know what caused it, always make it a point to visit dermatologist to rule out any thing serious.

Hope that solves your query. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan