Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have painless lumps of fat below skin on arms, thighs, lower back and abdomen. Cure?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Dear Doctor,
I am a thirty year old male in good health with no physical ailments. I have a concern regarding what appears to be lumps of fat (I can't think of any other way to describe them) just below the skin and above the muscle layer, which are however not painful. There are about 15-20 of these "lumps" all over my body (arms, thighs, lower back, abdomen). The lumps vary in size from 1cm to 2cm in diameter. I started having these lumps since my mid twenties. Are these of any concern?
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a matter of concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your description, those small lumps are highly suggestive of SUBCUTANEOUS LIPOMA'S which are localized deposits of fat tissue just beneath the skin.

While the exact cause why they appear is uncertain but a genetic association has been hypothesised.

These are benign in nature and are most often asymptomatic (produce no symptoms). They only need to be removed surgically for cosmetic disfigurement.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have painless lumps of fat below skin on arms, thighs, lower back and abdomen. Cure? 24 minutes later
Thanks for the prompt reply, Dr. XXXXXXX Could you please refer a Doctor here in Bangalore with whom I can consult this further? It'll be a lot of help if you could.

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sorry, I do not know any one in B'lore.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to see you back.

I'm sorry, I cannot give you any reference as I am not aware of any doctor in Bangalore. You can approach a General surgeon or a Plastic surgeon/Cosmetic surgeon (preferred) in your near by locality.

Have a great day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor