Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have painless lump above hip joint. What could this be?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9620 Questions
I have a horizontal lump the size of a fist, not painful under my left rib cage above my hip. What can it be
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 52 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have soft ,painless lump above left hip joint.I shall be happy if you provide few more details to help me to make comments on your problem.
1) Since how log this lump has been there ?
2) What is the consistency of the lump ? Hard or Soft ?
3) Is the size of the lump same over a long period or Have you noticed any sudden increase in the size of the lump?

Mostly it looks like a benign tumour arising from soft tissue (Lipoma ,Fibroma,Neurofibroma)
However final diagnosis can be confirmed only on clinical examination and excision biopsy of the lump.

Please consult qualified general Surgeon for evaluation and surgery to get it removed.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have painless lump above hip joint. What could this be? 10 minutes later
It's been there for awhile at least 6 months. It feels like a rubber ball. The size hasn't changed at all. I recently had a full blood work up and everything was normal.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Thanks for feedback. Most likely it is a lipoma. Get it excised as per your convenience. It is a simple surgery generally carried out under local anesthesia as an out-patient department procedure.

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor