Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have painless bruise on hip. Any ideas what could be causing this?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
Hello, I have a small bruise on my outer right hip. Male 59. No pain but has persisted for 2-3 months .. varies little in appearance over that time. Really only notice it in the shower :) Any ideas please. XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

I thought that the report that you had attached would be a photograph of the bruise which would have helped me in giving you some suggestions. I suggest that you upload a photograph of the area for me to have a look.

If the bruise has been there for 2-3 months and is not changing in size and colour then it is not a bruise but some skin discolouration.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have painless bruise on hip. Any ideas what could be causing this? 27 hours later

Thank you for your prompt reply and your opinion.
I suspect you are correct that skin is discoulored rather than bruised.

The spot was difficult to photograph but I have had a go and attached the resulting picture. I have added so arrows to highlight to area.

As in my original question I really only notice the spot while showering. I have now realized it comes to my attention because it itches slightly while showering.

To me, in the photograph, the spot looks more like a small eczema patch than a bruise. Many years ago I developed some general eczema that lasted several months as an allergic reaction to eating large quantities of oranges.

Do you think this might be a minor eczema outbreak or some other type of skin irritation .. I was also wondering if it might be fungal .. I think there are over the counter preparations I could try for such things..

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks Again
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 minutes later

Thank you for the update and the photograph.

It is definitely neither a bruise nor a fungal infection. I observe scaling of the superficial skin. You need not worry about it but if it troubles you a lot then you can apply some bland ointment or oil and observe. In case there is no improvement in a week's time then you can use a mild steroid ointment for a couple of days.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor