Have painful swollen bump near anus. What could this be?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I have a swollen bump, about the size of a walnut in between my buttocks on the right side by my anus. It doesn't affect bowel movements or my anus does not hurt. But the bump is quite uncomfortable and can be painful! What could this be, it's embarrassing!!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
From your description, the lump near your anus can be due to a sebaceous cyst or a pilonidal cyst.
It is usually filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this lump is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is an infected cyst or boil then application of warm compresses will help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.