Have painful lump between vagina and anus. Is this something serious?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a lump between my vagina and my anus. I just noticed it today because it became painful. It doesn't look like a pimple but it is kind of firm. I was wondering what it could be. I have never had these before and just had a gyn. Exam and it wasn't there. Is this something serious?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If this lump is near the verge of the rectum or comes from it, it can be a hemorrhoid. Due to its thrombosis it can get painful. Usually it is dark red or even black.
If this lump does not goes from rectum, most likely this is an abscess of this area. Such abscess can be caused by skin infection or can be an indication of pathologic communication between the rectum and the skin (it is called fistula).Usually such lump is tender, the skin around it is red and swollen, and it gives a lot of pain while touching it. Symptoms like fever can appear.
Such abscess should be incised at first and after acute inflammation will disappear, colonoscopy should be performed to see if there is any communication with the rectum.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.