Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Have painful hard knot on upper chest. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
I have a hard knot in my upper chest about two fingers wide and a finger long. Its on the left side and hurts. What could it be?
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A hard lump in the upper chest that is painful can be due to the following possibilities:
1) A soft tissue swelling - like a cartilagenous or muscular swelling, a lipoma, a hardened cyst, etc.
2) A bony outgrowth

The chest area is often prone to inadvertent injuries and this could be a traumatic swelling also. It is very difficult to pin-point a diagnosis without a direct examination.

So, I feel that it is best to get it examined by a doctor and if necessary, have a chest X-ray done to confirm the origin of the lump and ascertain the diagnosis.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor