Owl Image

Have painful cyst in labia majora. What is causing this?

Owl Image
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Question
what causes the right labia majoria to have multiple cyst that just came up a few days ago and seem to be worse. they are tender to palpation and the pain is going up into my pelvis. No sexual activity. 34 yrs old. 2 weeks post op gastric banding surgery with gastric plication as well. healing fine from surgery.
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
I understand your problem and would try my best to address it.
The most likely cause is infected bartholin cyst which results from blockage of opening of BARTOLINS GLAND.
BARTHOLINS GLAND are pair of glands located near the vaginal opening that secrete fluid and lubricate vaginal lips.
Once these gland become infected,they result in pain.
Your symptoms suggest that you have developed abscess in your BARTOLINS GLAND and would require a surgical drainage to clear the pus.
You must consult your doctor for the prescription of antibiotics if the cyst is small however you would need a drainage if the cyst is large and full of pus.
Till you consult your doctor sit in a bath tub filled with few inches of warm water 3 to 4 times a day which should soothe you a lot.
Take pain killers after consulting your doctor since you had gastric banding recently.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks