Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

199 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Ask a Urologist   »  

Have painful bump on bottom of penis. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
Hello, my name is XXXXXXX I am 18 years old. I currently haven't have had sex or or messd around with another female. So what I'm saying is I have a big bumb on the Bottom of my penies under the skin. It hurts alittle when I touch it. I try's to squzze it but it hurts. It's an all clear big red bumb kinda hard too.
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your query.

From your description, it appears that you may be having a sebaceous cyst or a folliculitis. These are the most common cause of a swelling in that area. They are caused due to the blockage of the opening of oil-producing glands in the skin or the hair follicle, leading to accumulation of debris and resulting a swelling.

Usually these swellings are not painful unless they get infected. So, since you have pain and redness over the bump, you must have developed an infection. So, I would advise you the following remedial measures:

- Take a course of an antibiotic, like Cloxacillin for 3 to 5 days to eradicate the infection.

- Wash the area with a mild soap or anti-septic solution, 3 to 4 times a day.

- Keep the area dry and sweat-free, and wear loose cotton underwear.

- Never squeeze or pinch the solution as it can cuse further infection and pus collection.

- If it the swelling doesn't subside within 1 week, then I would suggest that you consult a doctor in person for a proper evaluation and further management.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have painful bump on bottom of penis. What could it be? 5 hours later
Would you like a picture just incase to make sure?
Where can I get this antibiotic, and for how much?
Can I put alcohol on it or tea tree oil.?or can I ice it down.
This is the second day this thing hurts. Moving around is kind of hard with out feeling pain.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello again,

You can send me a good clarity picture to confirm.
I would suggest to apply only an antiseptic cream on the swelling and not anything else. You can also keep hot fermentations (not very hot though) which will help reduce the swelling. You can also take an analgesic like Ibuprofen (available over the counter as Advil or Motrin) for the pain and inflamation.
Regarding the antibiotics, you may need a doctor's prescription to get them, but they are not very expensive (an entire course will cost less than $10).

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have painful bump on bottom of penis. What could it be? 38 hours later
I went to the doctors yesturday so they can look at it. My doc said it looks like an ingrown hair with cysit. He said doesent look infected so he doesent want me to prescribe me an antibiotic. He said to just squzze of the puss and liquid out of there. While we were there he clean it and pickd a hole in there and squizz so out him self. He told me to go home place a hot rag on it and squizz it again. I try's in the shower and nothing came out I think I need to poke a hole in there but I'm too scared. I don't really hurt, I took a look at it and it red on top like almost a XXXXXXX rash on top. I place alcohol on it dry it then put nerosporn on it. What should I do
And I dot know how to send you a picture. Would you like it threw email.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello again,

An ingrown hair causing blockage of the opening and swelling results in a sebaceous cyst. Since your doctor has confirmed that it is not infected and has squeezed out the pus and debris, it will subside within a few days. You can try washing the area well with soap and hot water, then soak a piece of cloth in hot water and press on the swelling from the sides. Do not try to poke it with a pin or make a hole, as it can get infected. Applying frequent hot fermentations can help drain the swelling quickly. You can continue to use neosporin powder or ointment.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist