Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have painful bowels, partial colonoscopy showed hemorrhoids but was suspected for fissure and suggested shincerectomy. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
i have painful bowels, 5 years ago a doctor did partial colonoscopy and said i have XXXXXXX heammoroids, but yesterday another doctor checked up and said its fissure and suggested lateral shincerectomy. i need a second opinion
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
No harm in going for a second opinion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.
XXXXXXX hemorrhoids are not usually associated with painful bowels, which may be an independent entity by itself. Painful bowel may be due any kind of infection of the stomach and intestines. XXXXXXX hemorrhoids are usually caused due to constipation, and may cause bleeding during defecation, and are less likely to cause any pain during passing stool unless they are complicated with prolapse.

I do not know why you went yesterday to the doctor (Is he a surgeon ?) . Fissure in ano is a cut in the skin/mucus membrane of the anal canal and so is associated with pain during defecation. It may also cause a little streak of blood in the stool followed by drops of blood if the fissure is large enough. This will also cause you discomfort while sitting on the chair. You have to go for regular sitz bath along with the medications which your doctor may prescribe for an immediate relief. This condition also develops due to constipation. This can be diagnosed by a clinical examination by a qualified surgeon. If it is diagnosed, then lateral sphincterotomy is an accepted modalilty of surgical cure of the condition.

Both the above condition develops due to constipation and so you should modify your diet with more of roughage and plenty of liquids along with regular exercises.

I hope there is no harm in going for a second opinion by another qualified surgeon and so you can go ahead for the same.

I hope I have answered your query. In case there is still any doubt, you are free to ask.

Thank you for using healthcare magic as a portal for clearing your doubts on the health problems. Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor