Have pain under rib near the stomach, with a hissing sound, gets worse after bowel movement. Reason?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: There is a pain under my left rib near the stomach area and it makes me burp often with a hissing sound and gets worse after bowel movement . Why is this happening?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 42 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned problems.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness along with mentioned symptoms?
Do you have spasmodic abdominal pain/ burning urination/ history of passing hard stools?
Is there any history of prolonged intake of analgesics for relief joints pain?
Are you a smoker?

Location of pain & burping along with history of arthritis could be due to peptic ulcer disease, and functional dyspepsia, pancreatitis, irritable bowel syndrome.
History is most in favor of peptic ulcer disease.

Peptic ulcer disease may be in form of chronic gastritis, fundal gastritis, nodular gastritis, follicular gastritis and gastric & duodenal ulcer and adenocarcinoma of stomach.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up & endoscopy.
You should also go for breath urea test for H. pylori infection.
Helicobacter pylori bacteria is responsible for peptic ulcer treatment and eradication is essential for complete relief.
Persistence of symptoms with normal endoscopy indicates possibilities of functional dyspepsia.

Excessive gas formation with belching may be due to decreased gastrointestinal motility and you should also go for thyroid profile and blood sugar level.
You should also go for ultrasound imaging studies of abdomen.
Avoid tomatoes, legumes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, spicy and oily food.
Avoid putting boiled potatoes and dough in refrigerator.
Take < 200 ml of milk per day.
Avoid tea, coffee and chocolates.
Take soft diet with yogurt.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava