Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Have pain on hip area. It feels to be bruised when pressed. Underlying cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10441 Questions
I have pain on my hip area on the left side on the back, right about my butt (the area right above where the top of my panties hit). It feels as though it is bruised when i apply gentle pressure. I have not fallen or hit it on anything. Sort of a burning pain when not touching it.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The symptoms you have are suggestive of an inflammation of the pubic symphysis. It can be due to a chronic friction or a sudden jerk in the recent past. A decrease in vitamin D 3 levels can also cause such a pain.
The pain is likely to subside on taking mild pain killers and doing a hot fomentation in the area. You can also apply a local analgesic gel to0 help with the symptoms. In case the pain is sharp and persistent then do consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and oral muscle relaxants.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor