Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

184 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have pain in sacroiliac joint, L5 and L6 joints. What cure should be done?

Answered by
Dr. Rajesh Gajwani

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1975

Answered : 72 Questions

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,

I am 51yo Australian male. I was in a car accident when I was 16yo and slammed my left hip into the roof of the car after having been flipped over. I have had serious back issue since the accident, mainly in the sacroiliac joint and the L5 and L6 joints because of spondylothesis..

I find it intensely painful sleeping on my left side as it pulls the left 'wing' of the pelvis forward thus putting pressure on the Sacroiliac joint. I think this injury was overlooked in the accident triage and has become worse over time.

Is there anything that can be done with this type of injury? How should i go about getting it assessed? I have contemplated a laminectomy for the spondylothesis but what about the joint? Can the joint be replaced?

What do you recommend on how I go about getting it assessed?
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

After reading your symptoms I feel that before we decide on the surgical aspect, we need to get certain investigations done for a definitive diagnosis such as MRI of sacroiliac joint and lumbosacral joint. Has it been done before?

Before you decide to go ahead with laminectomy, I would recommend you to try physiotherapy, yoga and hot fomentation, as the results have been effective to an extent for relief in both the joints.
According to studies, surgery of sacroiliac joint may not be of much help in the long term.

I would strongly recommend you to visit an orthopedic surgeon along with a neurosurgeon for a complete examination with diagnostics. You could get the process of treatment started under their able guidance.

Hope this answers your queries. If you have any more queries, do let me know.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 28 hours later
I appreciate the response and will take your suggestions and act on them. I have lived with this for too long and am looking for a permanent fix. I'm pretty sick of the pain, lack of sleep and effect on my IT career because of these issues.

However, you didn't answer my questions about whether these joints can actually be replaced/repaired.

I understand the first response is to avoid the knife; that's responsible advice, but I think I'm beyond that.
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 7 hours later

Thanks again for following up.

As far as surgery is concerned, laminectomy for spondylolysthesis can be done for L5-L6 joints with predictable results. Sacroilliac joint can be operated however the long term results of sacroiliac joint surgery are not predictable.

I will be able to discuss further and provide you a more informed opinion if you can send me the latest diagnostic report (MRI of the above joints). You can upload the report using the site's uploader (available on this page) or send it to my attention (Attn: Dr. Rajesh Gajwani) and post it to YYYY@YYYY

Awaiting your response...


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Orthopedic surgery

doctor1 MD

I have had a right leg gait issue for years even following a partial laminectomy 8 years ago. My most recent (last week) MRI revealed a 5mm posterocentral L 4-L 5 soft tissue abnormality extending 5mm to the superior disc level and a 2-mm central disc bulge L 5-S 1. Both are on the right side of the discs. Is this something a neuro surgeon can correct?

doctor1 MD

Had surgery on right long finger @ dip joint to reduce osteoarthritis pain. Earlier procedure on left index finger was successful (bones fused). This time bones did not fuse so a bone graft was done. Follow-up x-ray showed bone was a casualty of infection. At no time was the infection visible or painful. Third procedure was done to take out pins, debride area, and take samples for culturing. Results showed staph (not mrsa) infection and fungal infection. Immediately went on fuconazole by mouth and cefazolin infusion. Infections are gone but so is the pin that supported tip of finger. Tip of finger is unstable and requires a splint most of the time. On three-week hiatus. What are options aside from amputation?

doctor1 MD

i broke my wrist three weeks ago and had surgery 2.5 weeks ago to align the radius bone. I have plates and screws in my arm and its now in a hard cast just below my elbow. The top part of my wrist has been aching for the past 2 days. Is this normal? Is this just a feeling from the healing or it being constricted in the cast?

doctor1 MD

I had a spinal fusion T8 to L5 on 11/23/11 and am still having alot ofpain.I am in T 3x wk but I am still all bent over when I walk. I am 66 yrs old and had a burst fx at T12 and 4 herniated discs. How long is my recovery time and will I get straight? Thank you Candy

doctor1 MD

I've had an eye problems since August 30th. ? I got it while at the dentist office August 22. He announced he was tired and just flew in from XXXXXXX and England. He wore no mask as he inserted final crown on upper right. When his receptionist...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am from XXXXXXX , Could you please suggest me is there anyways to gain my height. which way is the best way either Natural or supplementary. Gender- Male Age- 27+ Height - 5.2 weight - 45+ Natural Way - Diet List and duration Medicine...