Have pain in neck, shoulder and MRI scan showing disc degeneration at L4-L5. Could it be due to pinched nerve?

Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello.I'm 43 years old woman.I was 3 weeks ago in chiropractor clinics.Chiropractor was pressing by fingers my neck.For one week I was felt my neck light,but after 2 weeks I got neck pain,stiffines,shoulder pain,moust on right side and I can't breathed proporly.It feells like I have something in my trout.It's very difficult to breathing.I was read that C4-C5 cervical nerves supply the diaphram mucle,which assists in breathing.So,I have a pinched nerve... It's possible to loose up this nerve by chiropractor?Becouse I did try everythink -medications,massage,acupuncture.Nothink works,I can't breathing proporly.Can you tell a truth-it's possible to loose up pinched nerves or that will be for the rest off my life?.I was in chiropractor clinics 3 weeks ago.And last week even was in hospital,becouse I was geting like stroke simptoms.In hospital I was for week,doctors found i have minor dicks C6-C7.So just few month ago I was doing MRI scan and my neck are was fine.Now becouse I had 3 weeks(nearly 4 weeks)ago manipulation done by chiropractor I think he pinched a nerve there too.Becouse I have weeknes on my arms(moust righ side) and pain on shoulder and how I said in a neck too. I had few sessions with phisioterapist.She said don't think even go to Chiropractors for loose up you pinched nerves...She said I cud have a stroke if will press my nerves deeper or wrong.She said manipulation allready done,I can't change nothink..And she said becouse I have week muscles around neck and this reason why manipulation didn't worked for long.Since I was lifting wrong or moved neck wrong and went like self lucking mechanism...But I think-it was did somethink wrong in first time,becouse even my MRI scan showing a minor to dicks-C6 C7.I didn't had that few month ago when was doing a MRI scan for my back.I was reading about chiropractors how them can help with neck problems,even if nerves pinched... .It's possible to do somethink?I didn't want actually my neck be treated at all.I went for different problems,but chiropractor said I have old injury in my neck..maybe was 20 years ago...How he said just relax and I'm know what I'm doing...Well,it never was showing on MRI scan.So I just looking for truth-it's anythink I can do,becouse I never had a breathing problems and my arms ,neck so week and stiffy. Who can help me in this situation?Its possible to loose up pinched nerves by good specialist?It's possible I cud back to life again?Or I have to even have an operation in a future? Just very scarry,I'm so affraid....Help me please! XXXX My email address: YYYY@YYYY Sorrry I forgot to tell about my medical historry.I did MRI scan 2 month ago It saing I have early disc degeneration at L4-5.At L4-L5 annual tear and minor dic bulging,but no nerve root compression....Never had with neck problems. Thank you XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Pressur symptoms due to cervical spondilitis Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXX, Thanks for posting query. From your history it seems that your problem is due to irritation or pressure on nerves caused by degenerative disc lesion at cervical spines. Nerves passing through inter-vertebral disc are pressed or irritated giving rise to this problem. I do not think that pressure giving through fingers can cause this problem. At the same time pressure massage at chiropractor clinic is unlikely to solve your problem. It is possible that due to hard pressure on weak neck muscles might have given spam and stiffness of neck muscles and more pressure on nerves. I advice you to consult spine specialist or orthopedic surgeon and get examined. Physiotherapy, short way diathermy and cervical traction if suggested by spine specialist will help you more. Avoid putting pillow on back of your neck. Take calcium, vitamin A and D supplements. Take vitamin B1, B6 and B12 capsules or injections. I hope I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please ask. Ok and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 37 hours later
Hello.Thank you for you unswer.Just I got ressults yesturday from my GP.It saing on MRI scan was showing I have a bulging disc on my neck-C6-C7.I thought I have only minor,but it saing I have a bulging disc.How I can treat bulging disc,becouse probably pinching a nerves.It's efeckting my right arm. And today I was in chinese acupuncture clinic.And got treatment-acupuncture and massage for my neck and shoulders and other parts.Chinese man he was very hard pressing my head and templates.And now I have a pain on my templates on right side moust and bit fell not well.This is normal? I did talk after on a phone and explain everythink,just said put somethink cold on you templates.What risk I can get,I will not get a stroke?And chinese acupuncture and massage it's save or not? Or better go to have a physioteraphy? Thank you XXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Go for conservative line of treatment Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXX, Thanks for posting query again. As I told you in previous answer that due to irritation or pressure on nerves giving you this trouble. This came true as disc bulging due to degenerative changes give irritation and pressure of nerves coming out from C6-C7 inter-vertebral discs. Now go for conservative line of treatment with physiotherapy, cervical traction and short way diathermy as advised by your orthopedic surgeon. Take Vitamin B!, B6 B12 injections. Avoid massages. Acupuncture is helpful in some case; but finding the right therapist is essential as wrong procedure can cause more harm than relief. Therefore I would recommend you avoid acupuncture for now. Try regular conservative management as discussed above. Discuss with your surgeon. I hope, I answered your query to your satisfaction. If you do not have further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Thanks.