Have pain in lower abdomen. Found blood during urination. No abnormalities in ultra sound scan. Reason of these symptoms?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi,

This is with regard to a problem for my wife(30yrs), while urinating there were some blood stains found, and was having a slight pain in the lowere abdomins
and we went to hospital and had undergone ultra sound scan , and didnt find any abnormalities, post which urine test was done and in the result it was found that PH is 8 where ideal was to be 7, and the Red blood cells were also found (mentioned as found in large nos) in the result. Post which doctor said that there is no problem any found as per the results, and given couple of medicines and also told to do a urine culture, for which result is yet to come,

I would like to know the possible causes for such disease
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 44 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

The causes of lower abdominal pain, blood in urine and high pH include Sometimes pain and blood in urine could be due to stones in the urinary tract and diseases involving the kidneys. Since ultrasound scan of the abdomen was normal, stone disease is less likely but cannot be completely ruled out as smaller stones can pass in the urine.
Urine culture sensitivity can show if there is infection and if so what organism is causing it and to which antibiotic it is sensitive.
I hope that answers your question.
If you have n more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 51 minutes later
Hi Dr

The tests there have confirmed that its not due to stone, and she also didnt had a past with the urinary infection neither stone problem

from the urine culture test , the presence of escherichia coli was found in large nos, however dr has prescribed for medicine to have for a week and then adviced retest the urine after 14 days

I would like to know the reasons that would have caused for this as well as how harmful it is and the what are the precautions that are to be taken
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
In my previous post, I have mentioned stone is less likely since ultrasound scan is normal.
Even if she has not had a past with Urine culture sensitivity test has to be done for confirmation.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Hi Dr

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 hours later
Urinary tract infection is very common in women.
Some of the common risk factors of UTI are diabetes mellitus, frequent sex, catheterization of the urinary tract ( during hospitalization), using diaphragms and spermicides for contraception, improper hygiene methods after bowel movements etc..

Complicated and recurrect UTI can affect the kidneys.
Drinking plenty of water, urinating after sex, good hygiene methods after bowel movements, controlling blood glucose if diabetes is diagnosed are some of the methods to prevent UTI.
I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini