Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

173 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have pain and blockage in ear, headache. Temporary relief from medicine. Any permanent cure?

Answered by
Dr. Samik Basu


Practicing since :1999

Answered : 711 Questions

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi
I have been having blocked ear problem since last 2 months. One of the ENT Dr. prescribed Texzine and Vitaresp for almost 20 days and the problem was happening on and off. Hence I consulted one more ENT who gave me Relent OD. I was all fine with one full course of this medicine(10 days), but after few days I fell sick and again got severe cold/ cough, now my cold and cough has come down. but the blocked ear still persists. When ever I get blocked ear/ pain in the ear, I slowly get a bad head ache as well. Doctor have confirmed that there is no infection in my ears. There was flum which was blocking the tube from ears to nose, which was also getting cleared with the course of medicines. Please advise a permanent remedy for this problem.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 9 hours later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
There are some questions for you.
1.Is the blockage temporary or is it persisting all throughout?
2.Has the ENT checked your ears with a special instrument(Otoscope) during the examination?
3.Have you been having any hearing problems?.
4.Have they taken an X XXXXXXX of your sinuses?
Whenever one has a bad attack of cough and cold there is inflammation of the throat.The inner end of the ear opens near the throat.Due the inflammation, the inner end gets affected and due to the pressure imbalance you have a blocked ear.
The treatment of this problem is to treat the throat first.
Whenever you have a cold and cough star gurgling with an antiseptic gargle.Use a nasal decongestant and take vapour inhalation.The headache might be due to associated sinusitis.
But if there is a hearing problem you need to have a through investigation of the ear and hearing assessment.
Do not panic.
If you have any further queries, let me know
Hope this answers your query.Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later
The block happens from time to time. But once i get it it stays for the day. Apart from x XXXXXXX everything elsecwas verified by the dr. There is no hearing prb or infection in the ear. I still have cold and dry throat. What gaguling syrup should i take? I am using both nasal drops and vapour inhalation.

Request you to suggest a permanent solution.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 4 hours later
Hi ,

Thank you for the follow up.

Use a medicated gargle like betadine gargle. If the problem persists get an X XXXXXXX PNS done.
As the other reports are fine and the problem is temporary, you need not worry . Permanent solution is difficult as these are mainly viral diseases. Take adequate precautions to avoid cold. You can take Tab. Celin (Vitamin C) 500mg twice daily for 2 weeks. That will help in boosting the cellular immunity.

If you have any further queries you are free to consult me. Hope this answers your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Have a nice day.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 48 minutes later
Will Tab Celin help me to recover from cold? Can I take just this one medicine? I will try the gargle along with tablet defintely. But one question is taking these medicines makes me feel drowsy almost all the time and feel tried. Will Celin also do the same?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later

Celin is Vit C. You can take it.

It has no proven role in preventing cold. However you can still take them.

Celin does not cause drowsiness.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Otoscope

doctor1 MD

I was cleaning my 4 year old's ear with a qtip and he moved and I didn't think it went in too far....all of a sudden it started bleeding. It bled for about 3 minutes and stopped. I asked if he was in pain and he said no. He was running around 5 minutes later with his twin and younger brother fine the rest of the evening. I looked with an otoscope and didnt see any forgein objects in there but because of the blood I couldn't see his ear drum. Should I take him to urgent care or wait for an appointment for regular pedestrian or ENT doctor? Or am I overracting? I have 5 boys and this has never happened.

doctor1 MD

Hello, just yesterday I started feeling dizzy with some pressure above my ears on both sides. My family moved to the central valley of CA. a couple years ago and my wife and I both have experienced allergy symptoms that we've not had before, like...

doctor1 MD

When I am lying on my right side to sleep, after a few minutes it will pop and continue every few minutes.

doctor1 MD

I accidentally went to deep cleaning my 2 year old daughter 's ear. She cried for like two minutes and then I realized she was bleeding..the bleeding stopped and she is acting normally...I don't know what to do.

doctor1 MD

My 10 year old student jumped from the diving board in the water at swimming lessons this morning and is now complaining of ear pain. Otoscopy shows redness and bulging at the eardrum. It doesn t look like swimmer s ear. Heat did not help. Trying Ibuprofen.

doctor1 MD

My 18 yr old son wiped out while tubing on a lake 2 days ago. He does have a relatively small hole in the middle of his eardrum (I have an otoscope). Will this heal up or will he require surgery. He has kept a clove of garlic (to prevent infection) and a piece of cotton (to prevent air) and kept water away from it.

doctor1 MD

Had an ear infection April of 2013 and never felt like it fully healed, still has pressure and fullness plus some itching and drainage. I mentioned to my chiropractor the other day (since he helped to adjust me jaw back when I had the infection and was on antibiotics to help with drainage). She took a look inside my ear with an otoscope and mentioned she saw a little white pimple looking dot deep inside. She recommended I get it checked out. Any idea what this could be?