Have over lap ribs in different shape. What does this mean?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have ribs that over lap and feel like they are shaped differently what does this mean
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious underlying disease.

A few conditions to be considered and excluded are:

1. Vitamin D deficiency- Due to vitamin D deficiency, bones may become weak, and shape of ribs may change. This vitamin level can be tested in a blood test.

2. Chronic lung infection- a chronic (long duration) infection of the lung may cause damage to the lung, and overlying chest wall (including ribs) may change in shape.

However, in majority of cases, overlapping of ribs and different shapes are part of normal variation and do not suggest any disease.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM