Have ovarian cyst and experiencing slight discomfort. What is causing this?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I was diagnosed Mon (12/31/12) with a left ovarian cyst appox 4cm in size after experiencing some slight discomfort. The tech said it was fluid filled and appeared that it might be starting to collapse as it was more elongated in shape than round but I' still awaiting official word from Dr. I do have a history of cysts that have always resolved but this is the largest one I've had. I'm 43 yrs old and had an exceptionally heavy period in May 2012 and was placed on Provera for a few wks. Since that time my periods were very light and without any of the normal PMS symptoms. I had a light cycle on 10/2/12 and then none until 12/15/12. Had craming and a little heavier flow this last time. Thought it was finished but then had continued spotting and then the discomfort started. I thought the light cycles were perimenopause related as my mom went thru menopause prior to age 50. Is surgery recommended for a cyst this size that is recently causing pain?

I also experienced a 2 month episode of hair loss/thinning which has since resolved. Family MD ordered several hormone tests...all of which showed levels as post menopausal even though I was still having a cycle.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later

According to your description there is possibility of hormonal imbalance.
In perimenopausal age group the hormonal fluctuation can be seen.
FSH (Follicular stimulating hormone) levels are usually used to diagnose the menopausal stage.
But these FSH levels can be elevated not only in menopausal stage but also in late reproductive age, perimenopausal age.
In perimenopausal stage elevated FSH with irregular cycles can be seen as you are having. Whereas in menopausal stage elevated FSH with amenorrhea is seen usually.
Ovarian cysts can develop due to these hormonal imbalance.
Your ovarian cyst is appearing benign, because:
-Size is less than 5 cm.
-Fluid is the only content, no solid elements.
-No septations.

As present you are having only slight discomfort, you can wait watch.
Possibly the cyst will decrease in size without need of medication.
You can follow the cyst by ultrasound at monthly intervals.
And also gap between your cycles can gradually increase and they will stop after some time.
You discuss these things with your doctor and follow her advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.