Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Have ovarian cyst, abdominal pain, pregnant. Will my child be affected by this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1990
Answered : 232 Questions
I am a 32 years old female. I am 12 weeks + 5 days pregnant ( My LMP was on 28th May). I have been diagnosed with a right sided ovarian cyst measuring 35X36mm in size. Occasionally, I do have right sided abdominal pain. I would like to know if my child would be affected by this and if there is any other risk associated with this.

My first child is 4 years old. Two years ago I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. This is the 3rd time I have conceived. I have no co-existing medical conditions. All the prenatal tests have been done and are within normal limits.

Currently, I am taking Calshine XXXXXXX polyamine capsules and Queezy. I have also been advised to use Candid pessaries.

Thank you for your time.

Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Ovarian cysts are very common and majority of them are benign. A cyst is large when its >5 cms.The cyst seen in picture appears like a clear cyst and should not cause any problem in pregnancy.
Possibility of malignancy is remote.
Other complications like torsion, infection, hemorrhage, and rupture are more common in larger cyst altogether it is not seen in more than 5% of the cases.
Please do serial monitoring of cyst and ask the sonologist about the character of the cyst in terms of clear/echogenic, sepatae or not, any solid content etc. Ascites and nodes are already seen absent.
In level 1 scan done at 11+ wks, there should be nuchal transluscency measurement which I dint find.
You need to take calcium and iron(if no thalassemia) in pregnancy.
Candid pessaries are considered safe for use. However, I would recommend that you do not use the .
Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor