Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Have osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Taking oxycontin, panadol, celebrex. Any other medicine?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 439 Questions
Hi, I have been diagnosed by my GP as having both osteo & rheum. arthritis. Affected joints are both shoulders,right knee, left hip & deviating fingers on both hands.Have been on OxycontinSR - 50mg.for over a year and is having little effect.Also on Panadol Osteo which does help on maximum dosage, but leaves me off-colour.I use Celebrex when desperate, but GP says will wreck my kidneys.However, not much of a life the way I am ! Can you suggest any other drug, and would a phisio. help or waste of money ? Am 80 yo. but in good order otherwise. Have always been active prior to this, Regards,--XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 38 minutes later

Thanks for your question.

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that results in a chronic, systemic inflammatory disorder that may affect many tissues and organs, but principally attacks flexible (synovial) joints. It can be a disabling and painful condition, which can lead to substantial loss of functioning and mobility if not adequately treated.

To get to the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, you need to undergo some special investigations like RA factor, ESR, C reactive proteins, and now a days more specific blood marker which test for the presence of the anti-citrullinated protein antibodies (ACPAs) or anti-CCP has been used.

Once the diagnosis is confirmed, the treatment is divided into two parts.

1.Disease modifying anti rheumatic Drugs ( DMARD) - Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD) are the primary treatment for RA. They have been found to improve symptomatic, decrease joint damage, and improve overall functional abilities. They should be started very early in the disease as when they result in disease remission in approximately half of people and improved outcomes overall.

The most commonly used agent is methotrexate with other frequently used agents including sulfasalazine and leflunomide. Sodium aurothiomalate (Gold) and cyclosporin are less commonly used due to more common adverse effects. Agents may be used in combinations.

2. Pain relief

As in your case, there is no disease modifying drug being used, I wonder whether it is the time to go and see a Rheumatologist.

Just taking oxycontin, celebrex or panadol for pain is not going to stop the progression of the rheumatoid arthritis. Also physiotherapy can help a great deal, but only in association with proper medication.

I hope I have answered your query, I am available for follow up questions if needed.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Taking oxycontin, panadol, celebrex. Any other medicine? 3 days later
Very happy with your reply - just what I needed - confirmation.
Have booked appointment wth a rheumatologist but can't see till early July !

You sound a very learned doctor.
Thank you'
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 11 minutes later
Thanks for the feedback. You can always ask me directly on
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor