Have open blackish hole with pus on leg. Could it be melanoma?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My sister-in-law has an open depressed hole (as big as the fingernail on a little finger), on her leg, and the hole is blackish with pus around the edges. Have you any idea what it could be? She and her husband refuse to have it seen by a doctor, and are treating it with something they found on the internet which is upsetting. Would appreciate any advice you can give, apart from advising they go to a doctor, which is the obvious answer. I wouldn't be worrying but wonder if it could be a melanoma - would that present in this form? If it's only a tropical ulcer (they live in a hot humid climate) then I'll bow out. Would hate to see her die from ignorance. I realise you can't possibly diagnose this, but if I could even email (can't phone them - they would hang up) some sensible facts, it may make a difference.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
it is a very strange situation.
She needs optimum medical care and they are ignoring it.
A melanoma, a boil, a maduramycetoma, an insect bite, an inadvertent trauma all are the possible diagnoses.
A melanoma may risk the life, boil and XXXXXXX may risk limb, trauma and insect bite would take long to heal without treatment.
I think the black part needs a debulking and a thorough cleaning of the wound by a clinician.
They can apply cream Fusidin thrice a day.
Oral antibiotics may be helpful but must be decided by a doctor after a good local examination.
I hope my advise would be helpful for you.