Have one pupil bigger than the other. Is this a problem?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have one pupil bigger than the other in my eye is this a problem
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Variation in size of pupil can be a normal finding. A variation of upto 1mm size is fairly normal.

The commonest cause of difference between the size of pupils is drops used for eye examination by a doctor. Certain cosmetic agents can also do the same.

Among diseases, a problem in the third cranial nerve (oculomotor nerve) can cause the pupil to dilate on one side. However, there would be weakness of eyelid and eye muscles also in this case.

Severe brain swelling can also cause one side pupil to become bigger.

So, in your case, if there are no other problems (other than size of pupil), then there is no need to worry, as it can be a normal finding.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later
They have been tired and itchy abit aswell
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Symptoms of tiredness and itchiness are probably not connected to unequal pupil size. However, it may be due to certain allergies such as dust. An eye examination would sort out the problem.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Have just been worried about my eyes because I took a picture in dark of my eyes and one pupil was white and other red
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
There is no need to worry.

You can get your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 days later
Hello have been getting pain in my neck behind my left ear it was ok this morning but getting worse its like between my neck and head maybe I trapped nerve? And I have also been sneezing alot these days blocked nose everyday
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 days later

Thank you for getting back.

It could be a muscle ache or a trapped cervical nerve. In any case, there is no need to worry. For pain relief, you may take analgesics such as diclofenac or ibuprofen.

This pain would go away in a few days.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)