Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have occupational asthma. What cure and treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
My Pulmonologist is convinced I have Occupational Asthma. I've been on this job for 14 years. I've had asthma for 50 years since age of 4. He put me on short term disability for 3 months. I went 2 weeks without any problems with asthma for the first time in years. I tried to do a little work at home and set off my asthma for 10 days. I had to go to ER to get prednisone to get over it. My Dr. says I can return to work when I find a new job. If I'm not qualified for disability and have to work does the original DR. who put me on disability have to be the one who signs the release if I want to return to my current job or am I out of luck if he won't release me to return to my current job. If I have to work my current job is my best hope.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later
Dear Sir,

Very sorry to hear about your problem and that it is taking a toll on your daily activities. Your problem does appear to be very serious and the doctor is right in saying that you will need to find a new job, which will not trigger this problem repeatedly.
I am sure your doctor will understand your problem and release you. Just in case he does not, you can get a letter from another doctor saying that your condition demands you to shift to a new job.

I hope things work out for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have occupational asthma. What cure and treatment should be done? 5 hours later
But I'm saying it's a matter of me needing to slow down at home as well as work. My current job is for a giant defense contractor repairing the U.S. Post Office equipment from around the country. I will never be able to find a better job in this area. That is why I think I might need a release to return to my current job and try it again. I don't know if the Pulmonologist will release me to try my current job again. I have never actually had any symptoms in the 4 times I've visited the Pulmonologist so he says all my tests are normal. Of coarse they are normal because I have been home sitting on the couch and watching T.V. for 7 weeks. I haven't been doing any remodeling or anything to set my asthma off. He told me to stay home and take it easy now he is using that to say he not convinced I asthma and not occupational asthma. I have documented asthma since I was 4 years old. I didn't have a job then to have caused occupational asthma. I could do some work here at home and in 2 days I will have symptoms he can see. it doesn't make since to make myself sick so he can see it.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 6 minutes later
Dear Sir,

I can understand what you are trying to say. There are certain provocative tests which can be carried out by the doctor to judge whether you have occupational asthma or not. They include making you exercise in the hospital or triggering your asthma under controlled settings. You can talk to your pulmonologist about these tests.
You can even request your employer to get tests conducted during your time of work.

I hope I have been able to answer your question now. Please feel free to clarify any other point if you like.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have occupational asthma. What cure and treatment should be done? 1 hour later
I just got a letter explaining my Pulmonologists plan. It said for me to come in during and asthma flare up and if my XXXXXXX is normal he will refer me to an ENT to evaluate for VCD. I just realized I had my throat scoped 12/5/12 by an ENT and was told my vocal cords are closing too far when I exhale very hard. He refered me to a speech therapist to teach me how to breath to help that problem but I blew it off as I was having so many DR. appointment and ER trips and I didn't think it was that important. I googled VCD and read about it and the symptoms are what I have. I know I have chronic asthma also because I've had it my whole life. Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 9 hours later
I think the pulmonoligists plan seems reasonable. I am sure they will pick up some problem if they assess you during your work.
You can even tell them about your previous scopy and let them take a call.

I hope things work out for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor