Have occular migraines. Can regular use of a cpap cause excessive nasal irritation and dryness?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: From time to time I have occular migraines (slight headache with distorted vision)...today I have one that keeps recurring. I use a cpap every night and recently there has been a cold front blow through with barametric and humidity changes that may have triggered this. My 2 questions are 1. Since this is the first time it has recurred in a short time should I see an ENT about it or do what I did in the past just wait it out? 2. Can regular use of a cpap cause excessive nasal irritation and dryness which in turn causes swelling pressure on the optic nerve?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
thanks for sending your query to us.
As you have experinced once the migraine attack starts only drugs can have palliative effect to relieve your symptoms.
The ideal specialist to see in your case is a neuroligist or an XXXXXXX medicine expert.
Cpap use by nasal irritation does not cause pressure on optic nerve at all.At the same time the trigger of starting of migraine are varied,and at times difficult to pinpoint.
I expect that by the time this answer reaches you the peak of your attack has waned off but we have to find out triggers which precipitate the attack so that remedial measures can be taken to avoid recurrences.
please do get back to me in case of any further query.