Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have numbness on lip, rashes on ear, neck and below eye. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 365 Questions
17 yr-old son has skin rash on ears, behind ears, a little on neck, below one eye. I thought it was poison ivy but he just told me that his lip is getting progressively numb and feels "weird" It's almost 11 pm, he's in bed and has a huge test in the am. Should I take him to the doctor tomorrow afternoon? Could this be something other than poison ivy?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

I understand your concern for your son

Since the rash is on both the ears and behind, it is very unlikely that it is due to poison ivy. Because poison ivy rash occurs typically at the sites where there is contact with the plant and is linear; and contact behind the ear is unlikely.

Lip involvement indicates some allergic reaction. Other possibilities are allergic contact dermatitis, seborrhic dermatitis, or even angioedema which is a medical emergency.

I suggest you to give him an oral antihistamine such as benadryl, apply calamine lotion and wait for some time say for an hour. If it does not improve or worsens you need to rush him to a doctor (ER) for proper examination and appropriate treatment .

Hope this helps you. Feel free to ask me any doubts

Wishing your son a speedy recovery


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor