Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Have numbness in feet, pain in eye, constipation and walking difficulty. Could it be MS?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5558 Questions
I have numbness in feet,right hand sometimes pins and needles.Also pain right side of chest,difficulty walking,muscle twitching,In-coordination in right hand,speech slows down,can't remeber things,pain in right eye and constipation.All gets worse when stress and feeling hot.Been to hospital with the pains on chest ,had a scan on heart and all clear.
Could this be MS?

Thankyou XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query on Healthcare magic.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that these symptoms are not specific for Vitamin B12 deficiency- It can result in dysfunction of peripheral nerves, brain and spinal cord, causing the symptoms reported by you. Vitamin B12 deficiency is mainly found in vegetarians; however, non-vegetarians too can have vitaamin B12 deficiency due to the presence of antibodies in the gut, which prevent absorption of vitamin B12.

2. Thyroid deficiency- can also lead to several of these symptoms; however, since you are on treatment, the chances are less.

3. Lack of blood flow (ischemia) of brain- Ischemic lesions in brain too can cause several of the symptoms that you described. But these are more common in people with risk factors such as diabetes, high BP, cholesterol, high homocysteine in the blood, smoking, etc.

4. MS- is one of the possibilities; however, it is less common in men.

As of now, you can start off with blood work- vitamin B12 level, serum homocysteine, lipid profile, etc.

You should also see a neurologist and get MRI of brain and spinal cord done, if your symptoms are not settling.

Please get back, if you have any further queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor