Have numbness and itching on side of face. Blood test normal. What is the disease?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I Have numbness on the left side of my face, my nose is itchy and pricky at times, have blood tests done but everything seems ok. what can be the problem, thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
The leading cause of one side facial numbness is due to injury or damage to nerve.
While bell's palsy is paralysis of facial nerve resulting in gradual or sudden weakening of facial muscles followed by slurring of speech,the other common cause is a cervical disc lesion which may cause compression of spinal nerves leading to numbness of face.
There can be various disorders affecting your central nervous system like stroke,transient ischemic attacks,multiple sclerosis,tumours causing compression of brain or spinal cord etc.
Vitamin imbalance like deficiency of VIT B 12 may also cause such symptoms.
Calcium deficiency may cause numbness on both sides of face or around your mouth.
Uncontrolled diabetes may also cause one sided numbness.

I would advise you to consult a neurologist and get yourself investigated properly to look for the cause.
Pending your visit to the doctor,start taking oral VIT B 12 and calcium.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks