Have numb hand that started with tingly finger tips. What to do?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a numb hand that started with tingly finger tips and the other hand is beginning to get tingly finger tips.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check your peripheral pulse...

Detailed Answer:

Bilateral numbness with tingly finger can be of vascular causes or neurological causes (peripheral nerves or brain). If the symptoms are almost identical on both sides, I would rate brain related condition lower in the list of causes.

In this instance, I would use the following set of sequence to triage this problem and treat it:
1. First check your peripheral pulse. It gives us direct indication of vascular supply to your limbs. If they are not very well felt, it indicates a vascular compromise. That needs to be dealt on an emergency basis.
2. If peripheral pulse are well felt, I would order you to grip / hold objects. If the objects slip away from your grip, you might need to see a doctor at the earliest.
3. If both peripheral pulse and grip is normal, then I would treat you with vitamin B12 supplements. I use 150mcg of vitamin b12 or equivalent preparation once a day for 2 - 3 weeks. You can ask your chemist about it.
4. If the symptoms progress / you develop fresh symptoms, I would encourage you to follow up with your local physician.
5. Lastly if you do not find improvement with 2 weeks dose of vitamin b12, fix an appointment to your neurologist office for detailed assessment.

You can follow this protocol. You might need help from family/friends to triage the condition as described above.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.