Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
181 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Have numb hand that started with tingly finger tips. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Prasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3346 Questions

Posted on Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a numb hand that started with tingly finger tips and the other hand is beginning to get tingly finger tips.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check your peripheral pulse...

Detailed Answer:

Bilateral numbness with tingly finger can be of vascular causes or neurological causes (peripheral nerves or brain). If the symptoms are almost identical on both sides, I would rate brain related condition lower in the list of causes.

In this instance, I would use the following set of sequence to triage this problem and treat it:
1. First check your peripheral pulse. It gives us direct indication of vascular supply to your limbs. If they are not very well felt, it indicates a vascular compromise. That needs to be dealt on an emergency basis.
2. If peripheral pulse are well felt, I would order you to grip / hold objects. If the objects slip away from your grip, you might need to see a doctor at the earliest.
3. If both peripheral pulse and grip is normal, then I would treat you with vitamin B12 supplements. I use 150mcg of vitamin b12 or equivalent preparation once a day for 2 - 3 weeks. You can ask your chemist about it.
4. If the symptoms progress / you develop fresh symptoms, I would encourage you to follow up with your local physician.
5. Lastly if you do not find improvement with 2 weeks dose of vitamin b12, fix an appointment to your neurologist office for detailed assessment.

You can follow this protocol. You might need help from family/friends to triage the condition as described above.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Vitamin b12 supplement

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have coeliac disease and have been adhering to a gluten free diet for about a year now since I was diagnosed. I ve always had a problem with...

doctor1 MD

done my health check up. Attached reports. Please advise

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctors, today I got my medical report and found that level of my vitamin D3 is 29 ng/ml. I have psoriasis on my scalp . What should be the...

doctor1 MD

Good Morning I am a 52 year old pmp female who currently smokes (planning on quitting very soon) I am looking to see what kinds of vitamins a woman...

doctor1 MD

I have had a complete thyroidectomy; the parathyroid was retainded. Current level of levothyroxin is 175mcg. Friday s bloodwork: TSH = 0.01; T3 =...

doctor1 MD

Hello, About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with a B12 deficiency because I was very tired, having neck and back pain , and my arms and legs were in...

doctor1 MD

I started the visalus shakes in January. I have had problems with my B12 and hemaglobin. I had my hemaglobin tested yesterday and it dropped from a...