Have normal BP. Why am I fainting and loosing body control?

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Almost every time I go from squatting position to standing or stand up from sitting, I get really bad head spins the point that I nearly fall over. Its been happening for couple years now. I have had blood pressure checked immediately after spell & it was perfectly fine. I've ruled out medications as am not on any currently. Sometimes I loose control of my body & my legs & arms start to shake as if I'm fighting fainting. If I'm holding on to something I can't keep grasp of it. People have had to hold onto me before so I don't fall over. I have a benign tumor in my thyroid. Could it be to do with this?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

From the symptoms that you have mentioned above, it is likely that you might be having a case of postural hypotension. However, you do say that your BP recording was normal immediately after the spell.

The cause of postural hypotension, if it is the case, could be certain medications etc. That is also ruled out since you say that you are not on any medication right now.

I would advise you to get your Blood pressure recorded on the same day in 3 different positions; BP recorded in the lying down position, then sitting position and then in the standing position and look for any drop in the BP values.

I would also advise you to get the following blood tests done like Hemoglobin, Blood sugar levels, Thyroid Function tests and Vit B12 levels. If all these tests are normal, I don't think there is any reason to worry. I would suggest that you avoid any rapid changes in position; for example when you get up from the squatting/sitting to standing position, do it slowly and gently.

I noticed that you mentioned Depression in your medical history. That might be a possibility as to why you could be experiencing the head spins/ fainting episodes.

I would suggest that you sign up for yoga / relaxation classes ,if you have a good instructor in your area. You might not see results immediately, but it will be definitely helpful for you in the long run.

Drink atleast 8-10 glasses of water a day.

I hope I have answered your questions. In case you have any further queries , kindly get back to me.

Have a great day :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan