Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have non-displaced spiral fracture. Getting tingling sensation from hand to elbow. Will this cure naturally?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9335 Questions
i have a non-displaced spiral fracture of the left fourth metacarpal. My hand is now immobilized in a splint. The injury is now 48 hours old. I had "pins and needles" tingling from my hand to my elbow for two days, but now that feeling is diminishing now that the splint is on ( splint on for 16 hours now) Can I just let this heal naturally without having to see a ortho specialist? Or is there a treatment that must be done due to soft tissue injury? I would rather not spend a ton of money I don't have to spend if extra treatment is not absolutely necessary.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry sir.
It would be helpful if you attached xray report.
But considering what you ve said there is absolutely no need for extra treatment. This extra treatment can be only open surgical procedure which is at metacarpal bones fracture indicated in only few rare cases.
These are open fractures, intraarticular fractures with dislocation and fractures with length and rotational abnormalities.
Metacarpal bones are well fixed bones cause of numerous ligaments, tendons and muscles around it. So it would heal properly even without immobilization.
Tingling is usual and temporary after such injuries just need to be sure that splint isnt compressing nerves to tight. If there was nerve injury you would have symptoms proximaly, in fingers. Artery and vein damage would manifest with lack of pulse in 4.finger, oedema of wrist and pain.
Ligament damage would cause inability to bend or extend 4. finger.
So if you have some of these symptoms there might be soft tissue damage which needs surgical repair.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor