Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Have nodule in middle lobe associated with atelectasis and scarring. Required treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 454 Questions
I've been told I have a 5 mm nodule right middle lobe and areas of atelectasis versus scarring within the right middle lobe and lingula. There are scattered bullous changes within the lung base. This was found out in the emergency room and on the final report but was not told what directions to take moving forward.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

As per the description of the clinical data you have given,
A solitary pulmonary nodule associated with atelectasis and scarring is sure an alarming sign. So we should rule out whether the nodule is benign or malignant.

But the signs of atelectasis and scarring are more in favor of malignant nature, but I cannot comment directly on your condition, without examining you clinically and without going through your reports.

I advise you to consult pulmonologist, as soon as possible and discuss about the problem. If required, they will do High Resolution Computed Tomography or HRCT scan and/ PET (Positron emission tomography) -CT to differentiate the nature of the nodule.

Hope, I have cleared your doubts,

If you need further clarification, write back to us.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor