Have neck pain, abdominal pain and weakness. Test showed elevated SGOT/AST. Cause?

Dr. Stephen Christensen

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: What are the possible causes of an elevated SGOT/AST? Symptoms at time labs taken were:
bodyaches, sweats, neck pain, abdominal pain, stomach pain, shoulders hurt, sweaty, nausea, weakness. Other lab tests: WBC 13.9 [4-10.5], Absolute XXXXXXX 10.5 [1.7-7.7], Absolute Mono 1.2 [.1-1], Glucose 129 [70-99], AST/SGOT 57 [0-37], ALT/SGPT 62 [0-53]
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry you don't feel well. Unfortunately, without more information and a thorough evaluation, it won't be possible to pinpoint the cause of your elevated liver enzymes, as well as the other lab anomalies and symptoms you've cited here. (By the way, if your labs were drawn when you weren't fasting, your blood glucose would be considered normal.)
There are a number of possible explanations for this presentation: Autoimmune diseases (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, etc.), viral infections (cytomegalovirus, infectious mononucleosis, hepatitis C, adenovirus, etc.), cholecystitis (gallbladder inflammation), sepsis (bacteria in your bloodstream) and pancreatitis are among the possibilities. Obviously, some of these disorders are more likely than others in a 61-year-old man -- infectious mononucleosis, for example, is unlikely.
Many of the illnesses that cause mild liver enzyme elevations and an elevated white count are transient and self-limiting (that is, they resolve without specific treatment). Others, such as hepatitis C, may become chronic; still others, such as cholecystitis or sepsis, merit urgent treatment (i.e., surgery or IV antibiotics).
Your clinical course will in large part determine what happens next. If your symptoms resolve and your labs normalize, you may never know what caused this illness. (We don't have specific tests for every infectious organism that can trigger this presentation.) On the other hand, if your symptoms or lab abnormalities persist, further evaluation is warranted to identify the underlying cause and determine what treatment, if any, is appropriate.
I hope that answers your question. I'd suggest you contact your doctor to see if he/she recommends any followup. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.
Good luck!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli