Owl Image

Have movable lump under skin. What could this be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I have a pea size lump under my skin on my side. It can be moved around. What could it be?
Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 22 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

To give any definite opinion, the lump should be examined first. Not only the size but its position, shape, consistency, mobility, relation with the underlying structure, tenderness, all are important in this regard.

If the location is side of body, then such a lump with soft consistency, could be a lipoma. If the consistency is firm, then it could be a neurofibroma, or any fibroma or any other benign lesions. If the consistency is hard then it could be a neoplastic lesion.

If the location is side of the neck, then it could be an enlarged lymph node.

From the above discussion, it is clear that the diagnosis depends on the clinical parameters I have mentioned. So, they are important. It is impractical to give any diagnosis without knowing these parameters.

It would be better, if you visit a general physician for a thorough clinical examination. In investigation, Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) should be considered first depending upon the clinical findings.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.