Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have mouth ulcer. CBC, LFT, RFT and HIV test done. Found slightly elevated liver SGOT and bilirubin.

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
I am a 39 y.o woman, no drink/smoke habits. Visited a doctor with mouth ulcers (inside of lips and cheeks) lasting for 3 months. No fever, no pain due to ulcers, no other symptoms at all.
Advised CBC, LFT, RFT & HIV Test. All normal, except platelet count fell to 280,000 (from 0000 a year ago), and SGOT = 88, SGPT = 53, Bilirubin = 1.2, ALK Phosphatase = Nil, Urea = 24, creatinine = 0.7, Hb = 13.9, TLC = 7600, Poly = 55, Lymph = 36, Eosin = 04, Mono = 05.
What would you diagose? Kindly advise.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
First, platelet count is normal. It usually varies from time to time and there is no need to be concerned until it is less than 0000.
You have slightly elevated liver SGOT and bilirubin. It probably means nothing or it can be sign of alcohol consumption, hard exercise or even smoking.
Usually elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin are sign of liver damage of any cause( alcoholic, viral, toxic) or galbladder disorder. But as I said these elevations are minor. anyway, you should do liver and gallbladder ultrasounds to see is there any sign of liver changes (fatty liver or fibrosis) or gallbladder stones. Fatty liver is common condition resulting from metabolic syndrome( raised blood sugar and lipids+ overweight). There is no need for particular medicines, just need to change dietary habbits: avoid alcohol, smoking, fats and fast, fried food and lose weight if necessary. On such treatment your findings should show improvement.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor