Owl Image

Have mole in nose. What should be done to cure it permanently?

Owl Image
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Question
Dear Team,

my query is related to mucus.
most often every morning for one to two hours after bathing i m facing mucus issue.
i have checked with our family doctor he told us that there is a mole in nose need to operate it.

so what can be done to resolve this issue permanently.

for some times a month or two this issue is automatically solved but after some time it satrts again.
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Blocked sinuses are poorly ventilated and along with stasis of secretions, continuing infection and inflammation is common. The mucus drains into the throat as a Post Nasal Drip (PND). Sometimes, the infection is fungal and hence medication does not help. Hence supportive treatment is required. Do you have Eosinophilia or Acid reflux? Have you had a Chest X-ray?

2. You should wash your sinuses with a solution of normal saline with a pinch of salt and baking soda added to it.

3. An ideal treatment combination includes an anti-histamine like levocetrizine or rupatidine, an anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray, saline nasal washes and steam inhalation. Supportive treatment such as decongestants, mucolytics. Measures for dental hygiene should be taken.

4. You may share your CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) Scan and investigation (blood) reports here for more specific treatment options. For example, if your Sinus CT is normal, only medication is required. Balloon Sinuplasty may be an option. Radio-frequency and Co-ablation assisted surgery are also newer options as compared to FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery) if you want to avoid major surgery. The mole mentioned by your family doctor is probably a hypertrophied inferior nasal turbinate or a nasal polyp.

Regards.