Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Have moderate growth of candida. Permanent cure? Can condom prevent infection of stds?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14968 Questions
Can condom prevent infection of stds? I keep having moderate growth of candida, how can this end permanently? I have been trying to get pregnant after my fibroid surgery in 2010 without success, is it bc I have a blocked tube? They told me my left tube is blocked. How can I unlock it without surgery (I did HSG) in September 2012
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Condom use, if done appropriately, is most effective way to prevent the transmission of STDs.
The condom must be stored in an area that is not too hot as they may cause small breaks, certain lubricants (oil based) must be avoided for the same reason and it must be placed at the correct time.
Candida is not considered a sexually transmitted infection. If you have more than 6 or 7 episodes a year, your doctor may consider suppressive therapy which normally entails using the medication for longer than it is normally prescribed.
In addition to the use of the topical or oral treatment, you may want to consider the use of cotton underwear and in some cases, because of the probiotic content, yogurt has been thought to be useful.
Also, it may be necessary to screen for conditions that may be affecting your immune system and predisposing you to recurrent attacks, this would include conditions such as diabetes.
When women has recurrent episodes, doctors may consider treating their partners even if they have no overt symptoms.

The blocked tube is a possible cause of infertility, in some countries it accounts for approximately 10% of cases.
In terms of the tubal reconstruction- surgery is the only method presently available for repair of a blocked fallopian tube.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any addditional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor