Have moderate growth of candida. Permanent cure? Can condom prevent infection of stds?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Can condom prevent infection of stds? I keep having moderate growth of candida, how can this end permanently? I have been trying to get pregnant after my fibroid surgery in 2010 without success, is it bc I have a blocked tube? They told me my left tube is blocked. How can I unlock it without surgery (I did HSG) in September 2012
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Condom use, if done appropriately, is most effective way to prevent the transmission of STDs.
The condom must be stored in an area that is not too hot as they may cause small breaks, certain lubricants (oil based) must be avoided for the same reason and it must be placed at the correct time.
Candida is not considered a sexually transmitted infection. If you have more than 6 or 7 episodes a year, your doctor may consider suppressive therapy which normally entails using the medication for longer than it is normally prescribed.
In addition to the use of the topical or oral treatment, you may want to consider the use of cotton underwear and in some cases, because of the probiotic content, yogurt has been thought to be useful.
Also, it may be necessary to screen for conditions that may be affecting your immune system and predisposing you to recurrent attacks, this would include conditions such as diabetes.
When women has recurrent episodes, doctors may consider treating their partners even if they have no overt symptoms.

The blocked tube is a possible cause of infertility, in some countries it accounts for approximately 10% of cases.
In terms of the tubal reconstruction- surgery is the only method presently available for repair of a blocked fallopian tube.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any addditional questions